Is it Spring Yet?
My hands say no as they’re still shaking from another white knuckled drive on the icy roads. My toes say no as they shiver, un-pedicured in my fuzzy socks. My brain says no as it is foggy from being cooped up inside so much. But, when I sank my teeth into these light, fluffy muffins; warm and bursting with fresh blueberries, drizzled with a lemony glaze, my mouth said yes these taste just like spring! Could you use a little spring in your day? Whip up some of these muffins…Your hands, your toes and your brain will all thank you!
Lemon Kissed Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups flour divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup confectioners' (powdered) sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange rack to center position.
- Spray muffin pan with nonstick spray or use paper liners and just spray the top of the pan.
- In small bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- In large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time.
- Mix in about 1/2 the flour mixture.
- Mix in the buttermilk, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Mix in all but about 2-3 tablespoons of the remaining flour, being careful not to overmix.
- Toss the blueberries in the remaining flour. Add them to the mixture and beat gently for a few seconds to break up* some of the blueberries.
- Mix the rest gently by hand. Scoop evenly into the prepared muffin pan.
- Sprinkle the tops with about 1 tablespoon additional sugar* and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and water.
- Drizzle on warm muffins.