Do you remember a cookie from the 70’s with Rice Krispies cereal in them? I recall liking the crispy little bits in them as I never liked nuts in my chocolate chip or oatmeal cookies. The Rice cereal added a delicious layer of crispiness!
Those cookies have been on my mind for some reason and I knew I had to recreate them! I looked around online to see if there is a specific name for cookies with Rice Krispies in them…I found Ranger cookies and Cowboy cookies out there, but most recipes for both of them also contained oats, nuts and coconut.
I wanted to include pastel M and M’s candies as I have spring on my mind! I decided to add some regular semi-sweet chocolate chips to go with the milk chocolate M&M’s – and some peanut butter chips too! I use a much smaller amount of peanut butter chips as I find they can be overpowering.
Ever wonder why homemade drop cookies don’t look like the ones you see in magazines and on websites with the perfectly placed chocolate chips … see the food stylist cookie tricks below…
Food Stylist Cookie Tricks:
Rice Crispy Cookies with M&M's and Peanut Butter Chips
- 2 cups + 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt I use Morton's coarse kosher salt, if using fine table salt, you may want to reduce the amount
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) - softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 cup M and M's candies
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups rice crispy cereal
- additional chips, candies, cereal If you want to decorate with more
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment, silicone mats or grease them. If using dark non-stick baking sheets, you may want to reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in separate bowl.
- Cream together butter and sugars. I use a hand or stand mixer. Cream until the mixture is lightened in color and fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla and eggs, one at a time.
- Add in flour mixture.
- Mix in M&Ms, chocolate and peanut butter chips
- Add rice crispy cereal and mix on lowest speed for just a few turns, finish mixing by hand - to not crush all the cereal.
- Scoop by 2-tablespoon portions onto prepared baking sheet. Add extra chips, candies and cereal to tops of dough portions if desired.
- Chill for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator (can chill overnight). I usually chill them all on 1 baking sheet and then spread them out onto more baking sheets before baking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden and set on the edges and not quite set in the center. Cool on pan for 1-2 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.