This soup just screams Autumn!
We have been loving this Savory Butternut Squash Soup! It’s a cozy, savory, satisfying soup that is perfect for fall! I call it savory because lots of butternut squash soups contain sweet ingredients such as apples and warm fall spices like cinnamon. This one falls squarely in the savory category with garlic, onion and thyme.
I love it because it’s quick and easy to make, the family loves it because they each get to customize with their their favorite toppings. You can puree it right in the pot with a hand / immersion blender. It turns silky smooth in just a minute or two.
Sauté onion and garlic for a few minutes to soften.
Tie a few sprigs of thyme with some kitchen string. This makes it easy to pull out before you puree the soup.
Time for the thyme!
This pre-peeled and pre-cut butternut squash helps cut down the prep time on a busy night! YAY! Weeknight hero!
Add butternut squash and chicken broth to pot.
Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer.
Simmer until all the squash pieces are very soft.
A hand / immersion blender makes it very simple to puree right in the pot!
It will transform into a silky smooth texture.
A little touch of cream finishes it off!
Top with anything you like! I like my bowl topped with a tiny drizzle of balsamic vinegar, a sprinkling of toasted and salted pepita (hulled pumpkin seeds) and a few crumbles of garlic herb goat cheese! Highly recommend the goat cheese as it melts right into the soup and adds even more delicious flavor!
Savory Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 1 medium clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt additional to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme tied with kitchen string
- 48 ounces (3 pounds) peeled and cut butternut squash
- 2 14.5 ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- garlic herb goat cheese, crumbled
- roasted and salted pepita seeds hulled pumpkin seeds
- balsamic vinegar or glaze
- In 4-quart pot or larger add oil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper cook over medium heat for a few minutes or until softened.
- Add thyme bundle, butternut squash and chicken broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer. Simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until squash is very soft.
- Remove thyme bundle. Puree soup using hand blender (immersion blender) or in batches in a regular blender. Add cream to soup and keep warm (don't boil). Taste for seasoning, add additional salt if desired.