I begged the chef for the white chili recipe…
Chili that lingers in your brain for 25+ years had to have been pretty good! All I can remember is a steamy bowl of thick, cream-colored chicken chili that was not at all like the red style chili I grew up with. It was after college in Lancaster, PA and I was with my friends Kim and Burke. We think it may have been at this American Bar and Grill, although I’m really not sure. All I can remember is sitting at the bar with cold beer, good friends and a delicious bowl of this white chili!! YUM! It was so good, I remember going back for it a few times and asking for the recipe each time. Finally, they relented and shared it with me! WooHoo! It was written in restaurant quantities with #10 cans of this and that…My sister and I tweaked the recipe early on and I have since worked on it some more. I like my chicken chili a little more “brothy” with green chilies added. It’s fun to put out lots of topping options so everyone can customize their bowl. Mmmm…would be great at a party in a slow-cooker with self-serve toppings! Enjoy!!
Inspired by White Chili recipe from American Bar & Grill
Chicken White Bean Chili: Step-by-Step Photos:
PERFECT FOR PINNING ↓
Thanks for spending some time in the cloud with me! I hope you love the recipe! ( : Tina
Chicken White Bean Chili
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (or 3 cups shredded leftover chicken)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 jalapeno seeded, finely chopped
- 1 (7-ounce) can green chilies
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 48 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- lime wedges
- pickled red onions
- tortilla chips
- Heat large pot (5-6 quart) over medium heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add 1-tablespoon oil to pot and brown chicken on both sides, reduce heat and cook for about 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove to plate and tent with foil.
- In same pot add 1-tablespoon oil, onions, celery and jalapeño. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently or until beginning to soften.
- Add garlic, chilies, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring frequently for another minute.
- Add broth and bring to simmer.
- Shred chicken.
- Add beans and chicken and maintain low simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro or parsley.