Aahh…the “lazy days” of summer are just around the corner!
LAZY days?? Who makes this stuff up? Most of the summer we’re still doing the same working, cooking, cleaning, schlepping kids around…only it’s hot and humid! Ha! My tip for summer survival – keep your slow-cooker handy!
Yep, slow-cookers are not just for when the leaves are falling and Jack Frost is nipping at your nose. It can do the cooking while you’re working, running around or sitting on the beach all summer long. There’s nothing like coming home to a dinner that’s done! And if that wasn’t great enough – slow cookers save you money! You can braise a large inexpensive cut of meat all day, making it tender and delicious. It’ll make enough to feed a crowd or to freeze for another meal.
You know those summer days when you are wilted from the heat and you just can’t bear to fire up the stovetop or oven – the slow-cooker gives off a lot less heat! Love to grill? Me too! While you’re grilling, your slow-cooker can handle the sides. Baked beans, macaroni and cheese – even corn-on-the-cob and cornbread can be made in your slow-cooker! Give me a grill and a slow-cooker and I’ll be a happy camper all summer long!
I’m sharing one of my family’s favorite slow-cooker recipes – Salsa Chicken Rice Bowls! 3-simple ingredients in your slow-cooker make this go-to dish. It’s great all year round, but I especially love it in the summer because it’s light, full of flavor and you can top it with whatever summer veggies you like!
Want more great warm weather slow-cooker recipes? Me too! I reached out to some other bloggers to bring you this round-up of great recipes. Enjoy!
Warm Weather Slow-Cooker Favorites:
- Slow Cooker Strawberry-Chipotle BBQ Pulled Pork from Rachel at The Stay at Home Chef
- Slow Cooker Macaroni & Cheese (no boil pasta) from your truly
- Asian Shredded Pork and Noodle Salad from Laura at The Spiced Life
- Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Tacos from Kirsten at Farm Fresh Eats
- Tacos Al Pastor from Tiffany at Living Sweet Moments
- Slow Cooker Pulled BBQ Beef from Tiffany at Living Sweet Moments
- Smoky and Sweet Slow-Cooker Baked Beans from yours truly
- Game Day Apple BBQ Pulled Pork from yours truly
- Southern-Style Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese from Mandy at South Your Mouth
- Crockpot Corn on the Cob (with foil) from Corey at Family Fresh Meals
- Crockpot Corn on the Cob (without foil) from Recipes That Crock!
- Slow Cooker Mexican Cornbread from Trish at Mom On Timeout
Slow-Cooker Salsa Chicken Rice Bowl: Step-by-Step Photos
Perfect for Pinning ⬇ Thank you!!
Thank you for spending some time in the cloud with me! I hope you enjoy the recipe! Tina ( :
Slow-Cooker Salsa Chicken Rice Bowls
- 6 approx. 3.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups salsa
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning (2 ounces)
- hot brown rice for serving 1/2 - 1 cup per person
- sour cream
- black beans
- shredded cheese
- black olives
- black jalapeños
- shredded lettuce
- lime wedges to squeeze
- tortilla chips
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker.
- Stir together salsa, taco seasoning and pour over chicken.
- Cook in slow-cooker for 6-8 hours on low.
- Remove chicken to cutting board and use two forks to pull chicken into bite-sized pieces, then stir back into salsa mixture.
- Serve chicken mixture over rice and top with whichever toppings sound good to you!
- The cooked chicken mixture freezes well. It is also a great filling for tacos, burritos, quesadillas and enchiladas.
- Frozen brown rice is a great time saver.*