Rich, creamy and perfectly chocolatey!
I love to make my own frosting! Even if I’m taking a short cut with a boxed cake mix, homemade frosting makes it more special and delicious! This is a simple “American” style buttercream that whips up beautifully!
Better chocolate flavor!
I’ve always made my chocolate buttercream frosting with cocoa powder alone, but I discovered recently while making various versions of chocolate whipped cream – YUM! – that chocolate syrup really helps to add a richer chocolate taste!
Tina's Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter softened (gives slightly when pressed)
- 1/16 teaspoon salt I use coarse kosher
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate syrup Hershey's
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- Using hand or stand mixer (flex or flat beater), beat the butter until smooth and fluffy.
- Add salt, vanilla, cocoa powder and chocolate syrup and mix until combined.
- Gradually mix in 2 cups sugar on the lowest speed. Add 1 tablespoon milk, then continue mixing and adding sugar and milk 1 tablespoon at a time to reach the desired consistency. Mix on medium-high speed for about 30 seconds or until light and fluffy.
- Makes enough for 24 cupcakes or a 8 - 9" 2-Layer Cake