This is a classic family-favorite pasta salad that I have been making versions of for years! I love the broccoli, cheddar flavors with the Dijon mustard herb vinaigrette. It’s light and tasty! A great side-dish for all your BBQ parties and summer-time get togethers.
I love to shred the cheese, chop the veggies and blend the dressing with the fresh herbs right in my food processor. Makes this salad come together so quickly. I’m also a fan of how the finely chopped veggies are easy to eat and kind of work their way into the nooks and crannies of the pasta.
It’s great to make ahead a couple days! I usually stir about half the dressing in when I make it, then stir in some more before serving as the pasta will absorb some of the dressing (and absorb great flavor too!)
Broccoli Cheddar Pasta Salad
Pasta & Cheese
- 1 (14 ounce) box pasta (rotini works well) I use the Barilla yellow box – protein/fiber + blend
- 4 ounces cheddar, shredded
Veggies to Prep:
The below veggies I usually pulse in my food processor to chop them finely. I cut the onion, carrot and red pepper to about 1 1/2 inch pieces before processing. I layer the onion and the carrot on the bottom as I like them chopped more finely.
- 1/4 small red onion about 1/4 cup
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 cups broccoli florets* from 1 small head
- 1/2 red bell pepper
Dressing: you can leave the herbs in larger sprigs when blending with a food processor, chopper or blender.
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives*
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley* minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill* minced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon table salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3/4 cup oil I use olive or avocado
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water. (I generally only rinse pasta when making pasta salads.)
- Combine the cooked pasta, shredded cheddar and chopped veggies in a large bowl.
- Blend or stir together the dressing ingredients.
- I usually add about half the dressing to start. Then I add some more before serving. (It will absorb some when you make it ahead – can be made a day or 2 ahead.) Taste before serving and add more salt and pepper to taste.
Just wanted to tell how scrumptious this Broccoli Cheddar Pasta Salad is. Made it for dinner last night and my husband was still raving about it this morning. Told him there were leftovers in the fridge and I got a BIG Smile across his face.
Bought your cookbook from the Q last summer and find myself using recipes from it at least once a week if not more.
Every recipe is delicious!!
Have a wonderful Summer!
YAY so glad to hear that! We are loving it too! Happy Summer to you and your family!
I’m excited about this food processor. Thanks for all your recipes from the show. Is your cookbook still available ?