We ❤ Chicken Pot Pie!
It’s definitely a family favorite, but, I had never written my chicken pot pie recipe down – so I took notes the last time I made it – and here it is! The wine and leeks are a more recent addition. I find pot pie can be a little bland sometimes – the leeks, the wine and the herbs make a big difference in creating a really flavorful pot pie. I hope you enjoy!
Step-By-Step Photo Instructions:
Thanks for joining me in the cloud! I hope you enjoy the recipe! ( : Tina
Our Favorite Chicken Pot Pie
Pie Crust: (if you'd like to make your own)
- 2 1/2 cups flour (plus extra for rolling)
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter very cold, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) solid shortening (Crisco) very cold, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup icy cold water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth (plus extra if needed)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ground sage
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
Pie Crust Directions: (if you would like to make your own)
- Add flour and salt to mixing bowl, stand mixer or food processor. Stir or pulse the flour and salt to combine. Add butter and shortening to flour.
- Cut butter and shortening into flour until the mixture is sandy with some pea sized pieces left.
- By-Hand: with a pastry cutter or 2 knives / Stand Mixer: w/flat beater on low speed / Food Processor: w/multi-purpose blade – pulsing
- Sprinkle in the water while stirring or pulsing until it begins to hold together. Test by taking out a small amount and gently squeezing in your hand – it should hold together. (You do not want to mix until it forms a uniform ball like pizza or bread dough.)
- Pat the dough into a disk shape, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Filling and Assembly Directions:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange oven rack to lower middle position.
- In a 12-inch, 3-inch deep skillet or dutch oven melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots and leeks to the pan and sauté for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Mix in the chicken, then sprinkle in the flour and stir to combine. Add the wine and stir to deglaze the pan. Cook, stirring until wine reduces.
- Sprinkle in the herbs and spices. Stir in the broth.
- Bring to simmer and cook stirring frequently for about 10 minutes or until thickened. (If mixture gets too thick stir in a little more broth.)
- Stir in the peas. Pour into 2-quart baking dish.
- Roll-out pie crust to fit about 1.5-2 inches larger than baking dish. Top dish with crust and tuck extra crust under and crimp.
- Whisk together egg and water to make egg wash. Brush crust with egg wash.
- Place baking dish on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the crust is browned and the filling is bubbling.