Are you Granola Crunchy?
Do you like your granola to have big crunchy pieces or be more of a loose texture? I like the best of both worlds, some clumps for nibbling and some loose bits that can be poured onto my yogurt. My Mom’s been making granola for as long as I can remember and I followed her recipe for a long time until the past few months. I’ve been tinkering with changing it up a bit. I wanted the crunch to be a little easier to munch (double sets of braces in this household!) so I added some coconut oil which makes for a more tender crunch. I removed the powdered milk from her recipe and added some vanilla and salt to bump up the flavor. We all love this granola – it’s quite addictive and never lasts long in our house! Enjoy!
Thanks Mom for teaching me all about granola and a whole lot more!
Our Favorite Granola Recipe: Photo Step-by-Step:
Thank you for spending some time with me in the cloud!
I hope you enjoy the granola! ( : Tina
Our Favorite Granola
- 3 3/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats (not instant or quick), divided
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal or wheat germ
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix-Ins: You can add whatever you like, this is what I usually add:
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Prepare a half-sheet baking pan by lining with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray.
- Using a food processor or blender, grind ¾ cup of the oats to make oat flour. (I use my KitchenAid 3.5-cup Food Chopper.)
- In a small bowl or measuring cup combine the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla.
- In a large bowl combine the oat flour, the remaining 3 cups oats, flaxseed meal, almonds, cinnamon and salt. Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Spread on prepared baking sheet and press the mixture flat with a spatula.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, then, use a spatula to turn the mixture over. Press down to flatten again with a spatula. Bake for another 25 minutes. Turn off oven, prop door open slightly and allow to cool in the oven for an hour. (This will help to form nice chunks.)
- Remove from oven, and cool completely. Add whichever add-ins you’d like and store in an airtight container.