“A Summer Red (Wine)” in a shave ice wine slushy version!
Tinto de Verano Cocktail:
The Tinto de Verano or “A Summer Red (Wine)” was our favorite summer cocktail on our recent trip to Ronda, in the Andalusian region of Spain! It’s a simple and refreshing drink on a hot summer’s day!
To make, all you do is pour Spanish red wine (or your favorite red wine) over ice and top with lemon soda. About half and half of each or whatever ratio you prefer.
For the lemon soda, in Spain, Spanish Lemon Fanta is often used, but you can use whatever lemon or citrus soda you like! I like the San Pellegrino Limonata as it’s not too sweet.
We were told that this drink is popular among the locals! We certainly enjoyed it with our nightly tapas!
Tinto de Verano Shave Ice Slushy Version:
After several tries and tastings by my esteemed panel of tasters – We finally decided on our favorite version of this delicious summery wine slushy made using our KitchenAid Shave Ice Attachment!
The first task was what to figure out what put into the ice mold that would freeze solid and shave into beautiful wine shave ice! Wine by itself won’t freeze, so we tried wine + lemonade and wine + water in various ratios. We liked the wine + water the best in our tasting and the 2 parts wine/4 parts water ratio had the best freezing results. We topped the wine shave ice with additional wine to increase the wine flavor and the lemon soda was added at the end to preserve the carbonation.
Tinto de Verano Shave Ice Slushy
- 1 KitchenAid Shave Ice Attachment
- 1 KitchenAid Stand Mixer
For the Puck(s) – Measurements are per/puck – each puck makes about 1 pint shave ice (enough for 2 drinks)
- 4 oz water
- 2 oz red wine
For Topping the Shave Ice:
- lemon soda
- red wine
Prep & Freeze Ice Molds
- Pour 4-ounces water and 2-ounces red wine into each ice mold cup. Freeze for 12+ hours or until solid frozen. (each "ice mold cup" makes about 1 pint shave ice or about 2 cocktails)
Shave & Top
- Follow manufacturer directions to shave your frozen wine/water ice puck(s) into a chilled bowl.
- Spoon the shave ice into 2 cocktail glassed and pour additional red wine and lemon soda over each.
- Garnish with lemon rounds if desired.