What to do, what to do?
…you’re ready to make a Caesar salad and you realize you forgot to buy Caesar dressing – ugh! (or in my case, you leave the refrigerated type in the back of the hot car all day!) 😆
Usually I make homemade salad dressings or just use oil and vinegar, but for some reason I have always bought Caesar dressing – I think the raw eggs scared me. Turns out a little mayonnaise solves that problem as it contains pasteurized eggs.
Disclaimer: I realize this recipe is not 100% “traditional” Caesar dressing – (see quotation marks in recipe title) However, it’s super delicious and better than anything you can buy in a bottle. I loved the creamy, lemony and Parmesan flavor so much, I was using it as a dressing, spread and dip all week long!
I used my KitchenAid 3.5 cup Chopper to make this dressing, but you could make it in any chopper, food processor or blender. I love how you can grind a few chunks of fresh Parmesan right in your chopper instead of using pre-ground – really makes a big taste difference!
Homemade Caesar Dressing (no raw egg)
- 1/2 cup finely ground or shreded Parmesan cheese (or to grind yourself - use 4, 1" x 1" chunks of parmesan)
- 1-2 garlic cloves (depending how much you like garlic - I used 1 small)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I used light Hellman's)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt (it's what I always use at home, if using regular table salt, use a little less)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- If grinding your own cheese, go ahead and do that.
- To the ground cheese, add your garlic clove(s) and process until finely minced with the cheese.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the oil and process until smooth.
- With the machine running, drizzle in slowly 3 tablespoons oil.
Leave a Reply