I actually started out wanting to make a lemon buttercream frosting for my soft lemon cream cheese sugar cookies, but I have to tell you, I really didn’t love the buttery-ness of the frosting mixed with the lemon flavor the next day – strange?? I love butter and lemon… Then I thought about adding fresh lemon zest and juice to my cream cheese frosting recipe – BINGO! We have a winner!
If you want to make the sugar cookies – a half-size version of this same lemon cream cheese frosting is included with that recipe – perfect amount to frost 24 soft lemony sugar cookies! This recipe is enough to frost 24 cupcakes or a 8 or 9″ layer cake!
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese room temperature
- 8 tablespoons (1-stick) butter room temperature
- 2 lemons 1 lemon zested, 1/4 cup juice
- 7 cups powdered sugar plus more if needed
- yellow food coloring, optional I used 1 drop gel coloring
- Using hand mixer (turbo beaters) or stand mixer (flex edge or flat beater), beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth and fluffy.
- Mix in lemon zest and about 2 cups of the sugar.
- Alternate mixing in lemon juice and sugar (helps keep the powdered sugar under control) until reaching desired consistency.
- Add in a drop or two of yellow food coloring if desired.
- Mix until smooth and creamy.