Sometimes you need a quick & easy cake recipe…
This one uses just 4 ingredients and makes a moist, fluffy, fruity cake! All you do is mix together a cake mix, can of pie filling, 3 eggs and some vanilla extract! You can bake it as a 9” x 13” cake, two 8-inch round layers or 24 cupcakes! The cake is so moist, it doesn’t really need frosting. For the strawberry lemon version I topped with whipped cream. I sprinkled the 9” x 13” version with powdered sugar.
Think of all the flavor combinations:
- lemon cake + strawberry pie filling (above layer cake photo)
- spice cake + apple pie filling
- carrot cake + pineapple pie filling
- yellow cake + blueberry pie filling
- strawberry cake + strawberry pie filling
- devil’s food cake + cherry pie filling (below sheet cake)
A Note on Types of Pie Filling:
Pie Filling Easy Cake Recipe:
- 1 15.25-ounce cake mix
- 1 21-ounce can pie filling Use traditional pie filling, not the newer "simply" version.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare baking dish by spraying with nonstick baking spray or lining cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Mix together cake mix, pie filling, eggs and vanilla. Mix until well combined, but do not over mix. (The batter will be thick.)
- (You want some of the fruit to remain whole, while some fruit pieces break down, adding great fruity flavor throughout the batter.)
- Bake 9” x 13” pan for about 30-35 minutes or until springs back in center and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Bake cupcakes for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- You can use the cake mix box directions as a general guideline for baking times. I always check on it early and see if it's set in the center.
- Allow to cool completely then sprinkle with powdered sugar or frost with you favorite frosting.