Homemade Dog Waffles
(A version of Laura’s Doggie Donuts)
My sister-in-law, Laura, makes these cute little doggie donut treats for her 3 furry family members: Bella, Chimay and Kobe. I don't have the electric donut maker that she does, so I tried them in my waffle maker. I also added some brewer's yeast which I have seen in other dog biscuit recipes.
Measure into medium bowl 2 cups flour and other dry ingredients:
(You can use whatever flour combination you like.)
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• ½ cup oat flour
• ½ cup rice flour
• ¼ cup brewer’s yeast (found w/protein powders in grocery)
• ½ teaspoon baking powder
Whisk together and add to dry ingredients:
• 2/3 cup beef broth
• 1 egg
Add 3 tablespoons rolled oats and any of the following items you choose:
(I used cheese and bacon.)
• 2 tablespoons bacon bits
• 2 tablespoons shredded cheese
• ¼ cup peanut butter
• 4 tablespoons peanut butter powder
• 3 tablespoons unsweetened carob chips (sweetened will melt)
• 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
• 3 tablespoons carob powder
• 2 tablespoons pumpkin and ½ teaspoon pumpkin spice
Scoop and shape into balls (15 ml. scoop or 1 tablespoon)
Bake in electric waffle maker for 12 minutes. (I used coconut oil non-stick spray on my waffle maker.) They should be dense and quite dry.
Laura uses an electric mini-donut maker or electric grill for 15-20 minutes.
(or flatten and bake in 350 oven.)
Makes about 2-dozen. Store in refrigerator.