Simple Summer Favorite!
Delicious fresh summer salad using some of my favorite summer produce! It’s dressed simply with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Asparagus and Corn Summer Salad
Delicious fresh summer salad using some of my favorite summer produce! It's dressed simply with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.Print Pin Rate
- 2 ears corn on the cob*, cooked and cooled 1.5 cups
- 1 bunch asparagus, blanched*
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- 5 ounces queso fresco cheese*, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
To Blanch Asparagus:
- Bring salted water to boil. Cut asparagus into 1 – 1.5-inch bite sized pieces. Have a bowl with ice water ready and a slotted spoon or strainer ready to scoop asparagus out of hot water.
- Place asparagus into hot water for 30 seconds to 1 minute – will depend upon thickness of spears. You just want them to be slightly tender and bright green. Scoop out with slotted spoon or strainer and put into ice water to immediately stop cooking. Swirl to chill and remove to towel or paper towels to drain.
To Assemble Salad:
- Toss together vegetables, herbs and cheese. Toss to blend. Drizzle on olive oil and vinegar. Sprinkle on salt and pepper. Toss to coat and taste for seasoning. Add more salt/pepper as desired. Can be made a day ahead and stored in refrigerator.
Other mild, milky, crumbly cheeses you could substitute for the Queso Fresco:
- Queso Blanco,
- Farmer’s Cheese
- Ricotta Salata
- Feta (is much stronger and saltier in taste)
Cooking Corn on the Cob:You can cook the corn whatever way is your favorite. I usually put corn in a big pot with a tight fitting lid, 1/2 – 1-inch water in the bottom. Bring water to boil to steam corn – I steam about 5 minutes, then remove to platter to cool. You could substitute thawed frozen corn if you like.
Nutrition (approx. data estimated via online nutritional calculator.)
Calories: 159kcal (8%) | Carbohydrates: 11g (4%) | Protein: 7g (14%) | Fat: 11g (17%) | Saturated Fat: 4g (25%) | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 16mg (5%) | Sodium: 379mg (16%) | Potassium: 326mg (9%) | Fiber: 3g (13%) | Sugar: 5g (6%) | Vitamin A: 1043IU (21%) | Vitamin C: 10mg (12%) | Calcium: 156mg (16%) | Iron: 2mg (11%)
Tried this recipe?Share it! Tag @epicuricloud – Please Leave A Comment & Rating Below! TY!