My sister-in-law Laura requested I make my Peanut Butter Skillet S’mores Nachos for her soon to be daughter-in-law, Stephanie’s bridal shower last weekend! Since the skillet s’mores are the kind of dessert that’s fun to gather round, dig in and get a little messy while eating – I thought maybe we needed something a little neater for the shower.
I decided to make Peanut Butter S’mores Cookie Bars! I made a few versions, made some tweaks and here’s the final delicious recipe! The chewy cookie dough base is loaded with graham cracker crumbs, chocolate chips and peanut butter chips/candies… then, after baking, you top the bars with mini marshmallows, more chocolate and peanut butter chips/candies and pop them under the broiler to toast the marshmallows! The toasting gives the Peanut Butter S’mores Cookie Bars that authentic campfire s’mores flavor! Yum!! Enjoy!
Peanut Butter S'mores Cookie Bars
- Non-stick baking spray or butter to grease pan
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs finely ground
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt I used coarse kosher salt, if using table salt, use 1/4 teaspoon
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar lightly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons chocolate chips divided
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons peanut butter chips or Reese's pieces divided
- 1 1/3 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange oven rack to center position.
- Spray or grease 9 x 13 x 2" pan with non-stick spray or butter. (I used a thinly aluminum metal pan. If using a glass or dark colored pan reduce oven temperature to 325.) Line pan width-wise with 2 layers of foil that over hang the sides of the pan, fold over excess. Spray or grease foil.
- Whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt in small bowl.
- Using electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar for several minutes or until fluffy and lightened in color.
- Add eggs one at a time, then add vanilla.
- Mix in dry ingredients, then add 1 cup of the chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of the peanut butter chips.
- Press dough into prepared pan. (I use buttered fingers or spatula to press dough into pan.)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden browned on the edges and still a little soft in the center.
- Remove pan from oven, set oven to broil (keeping oven rack in same center position.) Top baked bars with marshmallows and remaining 2 tablespoons each chocolate and peanut butter chips.
- Return pan to oven and broil - WATCHING - until the marshmallows are toasted. It will happen quickly - don't take your eyes off. Remove pan from oven and allow to cool fully.
- Once cool, use foil sling to remove to a cutting board. Cut into 24 squares. (Wipe knife clean in between cuts to prevent sticking.) Store in an airtight container for several days.
Leave a Reply