I should be embarrassed that I ate half of these right out of the oven…
They are seriously addictive! Beware ( :
I have always loved dried fruits and I wondered if I could make my own using the KitchenAid 12″ Countertop Convection Oven – I thought the lowest temperature and the convection fan might just do the trick – and it did!! Plus, with two oven racks you can make a lot at one time! I sprinkled one rack of apple slices with cinnamon and kept one rack plain. They make your whole house smell of warm apples and cinnamon! YUM! Plus, dried fruit that you buy at the store is usually pretty expensive and most have added preservatives – these are just apples (and cinnamon if you like!)
- 3-4 apples (I used Honeycrisp)
- cinnamon if desired
- Slice and core apples (I left the peel on, you can remove if you like). I used the KitchenAid Spiralizer to slice and core the apples to 4mm thickness
- Sprinkle the apples with cinnamon if desired
- Place the slices directly on the oven racks.
- Set oven to Bake
- Set temperature to "Warm" - this will be about 150 degrees F.
- Allow them to dry to desired chewiness.
- Mine took 2 hours. They shrunk quite a bit and felt leathery on the outside. The cinnamon ones tend to finish a little sooner, I think the cinnamon helps draw or absorb some of the moisture.
- Turn the oven off and allow them to cool in the oven.
- I store them in an airtight container for a few days or in the refrigerator for longer - but they probably won't last that long!