- 4 cups shredded, cooked chicken see note
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp.
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 pound frozen spinach see note
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cooked rice see note
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Crunchy Stuffing Topping:
- 1 6-ounce box herb stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup shredded or grated Parmesan
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
Low Carb Topping:
- 2.12 ounce package Parmesan crisps (all cheese) crumble over casserole before baking
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or butter baking dish(es). You can make one 13" x 9" casserole that serves 10-12 people. -or- divide between 2 casseroles (about 2.5 qt each, 11" x 7") You can bake one and freeze one (see notes.)
- Mix together all ingredients in large bowl. I like to shred the chicken in my stand mixer (see notes). If using a large 6qt stand mixer, you can mix all the ingredients right in the mixing bowl.
- Spoon into prepared baking dish(es).
- Add topping of choice. Bake covered for 20 minutes, then uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. (the cooking time will vary depending upon how hot the chicken was that you started with.)
- See notes for freezing directions.
Stand Mixer Shredded Chicken:For 4 cups shredded chicken, I used 3 medium sized chicken breasts. I cook them in water (enough to cover them) with generous salt & pepper on a low-simmer until cooked through. Then I put the hot chicken breasts (drained) in my stand mixer and use my flat beater (paddle) on low speed to shred them. You can alternatively use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken.
Frozen Spinach:If I use a bag of chopped frozen spinach – I add it in frozen. It doesn’t seem to have as much moisture as the rectangular (brick) type of frozen spinach. If I use the rectangular brick type, I thaw and drain it well.
Cooked Rice:I tend to use the frozen pre-cooked brown rice. If you buy the box that has 3 microwavable bags – 1 bag is about 2 cups. But, you can swap out any cooked grain you like – such as quinoa.
To Freeze:Unbaked: Wrap assembled casserole with plastic wrap and then tightly with foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator. Then bake 350 degrees F. for 40-55 minutes. (covered with just foil for first 20 minutes, then continue uncovered)
Nutrition (approx. data estimated via online nutritional calculator.)
Calories: 424kcal (21%) | Carbohydrates: 12g (4%) | Protein: 21g (42%) | Fat: 32g (49%) | Saturated Fat: 13g (81%) | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 96mg (32%) | Sodium: 678mg (29%) | Potassium: 320mg (9%) | Fiber: 1g (4%) | Sugar: 2g (2%) | Vitamin A: 5086IU (102%) | Vitamin C: 3mg (4%) | Calcium: 250mg (25%) | Iron: 2mg (11%)
Tried this recipe?Share it! Tag @epicuricloud – Please Leave A Comment & Rating Below! TY!
Leave a Reply