Naughty and Nice Recipes…
Holiday time is here and so are the cookies, candy, casseroles and all those delectable dips and party foods! I would be lying if I said all my holiday eats were perfectly balanced. I’m already dreaming about the bacon wrapped cracker nibbles and ham biscuits my friend Gail makes. My friend Annie has already dropped off some of her amazing Russian tea cake Christmas cookies. I squirreled them away, hidden from the rest of the family (Shh, don’t tell!) But I do try to maintain some sort of balance between all the parties. One of my latest recipes is a good bit naughty and a little bit nice. They are Peppermint Bark Pretzels! The pretzel makes it a little less naughty – right?
I figure it just has to be healthier than a chocolate covered piece of cheesecake…
Well healthy or not, the mild peppermint flavor and crushed candy canes really spruce up the basic chocolate dipped pretzel. They are quick and easy to assemble and they make a really nice homemade gift!
Peppermint Bark Pretzels How-To:
Crush candy canes.
Melt chocolate and shortening in microwave.
I like to buy the big tub of pretzel rods
Dip or spoon chocolate onto pretzel.
Twirl pretzel while holding back of spoon against it to remove excess chocolate.
Allow chocolate to set, you can put in cool place or refrigerate for a few minutes.
Melt white chocolate and shortening in microwave.
Drizzle over pretzels with spoon, piping bag or zip-top bag w/corner snipped off.
Sprinkle while still wet with crushed candy canes.
Store in airtight containers or package for gifting.
Perfect for Pinning ⬇
Peppermint Bark Pretzels
- 28 pretzel rods
- 10 candy canes crushed
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons solid shortening (Crisco) divided
- 12 ounces white chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract (for mild flavor)
- Line two large baking sheets with wax paper or parchment.
- In medium microwave safe bowl, melt semi-sweet chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon shortening by microwaving for 30-second intervals, stirring between, until melted.
- Dip and spoon melted chocolate onto pretzel rod, leaving about 1-inch at the top undipped.
- Use the back of the spoon to swirl off excess chocolate.
- Place on lined baking sheets and chill in refrigerator for 10 minutes to set.
- In medium microwave safe bowl, melt white chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon shortening by microwaving for 30-second intervals, stirring between, until melted.
- Stir in peppermint extract.
- Spoon the melted chocolate mixture into a piping bag or zip top bag.
- Snip a small hole in the corner of the zip bag and drizzle the white chocolate over the pretzels.
- Sprinkle them with the crushed candy canes. When set (can refrigerate for 10 minutes), store in an airtight container.