Soon it will be the start of the summer season with getaways, BBQs and parties! (or virtual ones – updated for social distancing.) I love to have a few salad recipes ready for summer events. It’s so nice to be able to have a big batch of a fresh delicious salad made in the refrigerator ready to grab for a quick lunch, to pair with your grilled dinner or to bring to a summer pot luck party. This salad is easy to make, healthy and full of flavor! You can make it ahead of time and it holds up perfectly! I hope you like it as much as we do!
Roasted Corn, Black Bean & Brown Rice Salad w/ Chipotle Lime Dressing:
The dressing is really delicious! It combines your basics like oil and vinegar with some honey, lime and oregano. I also add some adobo seasoning along with some minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce – double adobo!! I am able to find both of these products in all the grocery stores where I shop. They are usually in the Latin section or the aisle with all the salsa and taco shells.
The Salad Ingredients:
I love using leftover corn on the cob in salads! I always cook a few extra ears so I’ll be sure to have some left over! I didn’t have any corn on hand this time, so I roasted a few ears by shucking them, drizzling them with some oil and salt, wrapping in a foil packet and roasting in the oven for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
In my area here in PA, corn is not yet at its best, so roasting it cooked it perfectly and concentrated the corn flavor. If you can’t get fresh corn or need a short cut, you can use thawed frozen corn, sometimes you can even find it roasted>
The other ingredients are grape tomatoes, black beans, red onion, cilantro, queso fresco cheese and cooked brown rice. I like to buy the frozen brown rice that you just need to microwave for a few minutes. I’m a big fan of the Trader Joe’s Organic Frozen Brown Rice. It’s super handy!
I am able to find the queso fresco cheese in most grocery stores as well, it’s usually in the cheese case that has more specialty items. You can top the salad before serving with some diced avocado if you like! YUM!
Roasted Corn, Black Bean & Brown Rice Salad w/Chipotle Lime Dressing
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons adobo seasoning with pepper (such as Goya brand) see note
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotles in adobo sauce, finely minced (comes in a small can in Latin/taco section of grocery) *adjust amount up or down based on your taste for spiciness
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes halved
- 2 cups cooked & cooled brown rice
- 6 ounces queso fresco cheese, crumbled can substitute with feta cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped can substitute with parsley
- 1 1/2 cups roasted corn or leftover corn off the cob, or thawed frozen corn
- 1 diced avocado, optional add right before serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients except oil. When well mixed, drizzle in oil while whisking.
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl and gently toss with enough dressing to coat. Save any additional dressing to add later if needed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place 3 ears of shucked corn on a large piece of foil on a baking tray.
- Drizzle corn with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and a 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Close the foil around to corn to form a sealed packet. Roast in oven for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool and cut the corn off the cob.