Strawberries & Cream!!
Simple homemade vanilla ice cream, swirled with fresh strawberry puree! I love strawberry ice cream, but I love this even more – you get to taste the creamy vanilla and the fruity strawberry – all gently swirled together!
Easy Strawberry Swirl Ice Cream (No Eggs)
Simple homemade vanilla ice cream, swirled with fresh strawberry puree! I love strawberry ice cream, but I love this even more – you get to taste the creamy vanilla and the fruity strawberry – all gently swirled together! (Makes about 1.5 quarts)Print Pin Rate
- Ice Cream Maker
Vanilla Ice Cream Base
- 2 1/2 cups half and half* divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste* or vanilla extract
Strawberry Puree for Swirl
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled 3 cups
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Prepare Strawberry Puree:
- Puree Strawberries in a food processor or blender (for smooth texture) or just mash up (for chunky strawberry texture).
- optional: strain strawberry puree if you don't like the seeds in your smooth puree.
- Place pureed or mashed berries, sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until reduced by 1/3.
- Refrigerate until fully chilled before adding to ice cream.
Prepare Vanilla Ice Cream Base:
- (See notes for non-heating version.) In small saucepan, over medium-low heat. Add sugar, and 1 1/2 cups of the half and half. Heat, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved or until small bubbles form around the edge of the pan. (Don't boil) Let mixture cool.
- Into the cooled mixture, add remaining half and half, heavy cream and vanilla. Refrigerate at least 6 hours or until fully chilled before churning ice cream.
Churning the Ice Cream:
- Follow directions for your specific ice cream maker to make ice cream.
- When using KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment: Make sure bowl is completely frozen. I freeze for 24 hours with my freezer on the coldest setting. Then attach to mixer.
- With frozen bowl attached to mixer, dasher and adaptor in place – run mixer on "stir" speed and pour in chilled ice cream mixture.
- Churn for about 20-25 minutes or until "soft-serve" texture. During the last minute of churning, slowly pour in most of the strawberry puree. (I like to reserve a little to swirl in the top of the ice cream before freezing.)
- Enjoy as soft-serve texture or transfer ice cream to freezer safe container (swirl on the reserved puree) and freeze for 2-4 hours to "ripen" or firm-up for scooping. (I try to choose a "wide-enough" container to make scooping easier.)
Half & Half Substitute:2/3 cup low-fat milk + 1/3 cup heavy cream = 1 cup half & half (For the recipe – I use 1 2/3 cup low-fat milk + 3/4 cup heavy cream (close enough to the ratio)
Vanilla Bean Paste:Vanilla Bean Paste contains tiny little flecks of real vanilla bean – it will give your ice cream a delicious vanilla taste with tiny little flecks of vanilla bean. You can find vanilla bean paste in some grocery, specialty and online stores. I have used the Nielsen-Massey brand. If you don’t have or can’t find (or don’t prefer the little vanilla flecks) use vanilla extract!
Non-Heating Version:Heating the half and half with the sugar in this recipe – is a way to ensure that the sugar is completely dissolved. I’ve also had success with dissolving the sugar into the half and half by using my hand mixer (with regular/turbo beaters) on low speed. Mix until all the sugar is dissolved. (usually you can hear it scraping on the bottom of the bowl.)
Tried this recipe?Share it! Tag @epicuricloud – Please Leave A Comment & Rating Below! TY!
Love watching you on QVC. Loved the vanilla ice cream you did that came up before this one. I am hard of hearing and the video was informative and easily understood. I bought the KA ice cream freezer a few months ago. My bowl is not the pretty one that was on ITKWD today Sept 11 but think the dasher is the same as you showed. I will look for what I need to do to follow you You are great.