Looks fancy – tastes delicious – easy to make at home!
You may have seen this coffee drink featured on social media – it became popular in this TikTok video.
What is Whipped / Dalgona Coffee?
It’s a form of coffee that’s popular in Korea – “Dalgona Coffee”. But versions are popular elsewhere too… also called “Frappe Coffee”, “Beaten Coffee”, “Whipped Coffee”…
It is a fluffy, sweetened, concentrated coffee mixture that you spoon on top of milk (chocolate milk in this version.) You then stir the fluffy mixture into the milk and you have a thick, rich, foamy coffee beverage! …tastes like it came from the coffee shop, but you made it at home…in just minutes! YUM!
How do you make Whipped / Dalgona Coffee?
It’s made by whipping instant coffee with sugar and hot water – it becomes a thick, fluffy coffee mixture that you can spoon over (hot or cold), chocolate milk (my mocha version), any other milk or even water. You’ll need to whisk by hand or you can use your stand mixer, hand mixer or immersion blender with the whip/whisk accessory.
You stir the fluffy mixture into the milk and it makes a thick, delicious coffee treat! When iced, I think it tastes similar to a mocha frappuccino (from the fancy coffee shop!)
Can I use Sugar Substitutes in my Whipped Coffee?
You can reduce the sugar to 1 1/2 tablespoons if you like. You can also use granulated sugar substitutes such as Swerve. With sugar substitutes it may not whip quite as well as with sugar.
What Kind of Milk Can I Use for Whipped Coffee?
You can use any kind of milk: regular, nut, chocolate. The milk can be iced or hot. Some folks also serve with just water (like a caffe’ Americano.)
Whipped Mocha Coffee (Dalgona Coffee)
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons sugar see note
- 2 tablespoons hot water from tap is fine, doesn't need to be boiling hot
- 16 ounces chocolate milk see note
- shaved chocolate bits for garnish optional
- You can whip this by hand with a whisk or you can use a stand mixer, hand mixer or hand blender with a whip or whisk accessory.
- Combine the instant coffee, sugar and hot water in a bowl or mixing container. Whip until soft peaks form. Spoon over hot, cold or iced chocolate milk. (see note for milk options) Garnish with chocolate bits if desired.
- I like to stir the whipped coffee into the milk.
Can I use Sugar Substitutes in my Whipped Coffee?You can reduce the sugar to 1 1/2 tablespoons if you like your coffee beverages a little less sweet (my preference). You can also use granulated sugar substitutes such as Swerve. With sugar substitutes it may not whip or stay whipped quite as well as with sugar.
What Kind of Milk Can I Use for Whipped Coffee?You can use any kind of milk: regular, nut, chocolate. The milk can be iced or hot. Some folks also serve with just water.
Nutrition (approx. data estimated via online nutritional calculator.)
Pin for Later on Pinterest! ⬇️