Beet muffins?? What??
Well, just like the zucchini in zucchini bread and the carrots in carrot cake….beets can be a delicious add-in to all kinds of baked goods! They add moisture and all the good stuff that beets have to offer. Don’t like beets? I never did either until I started playing around with different ways to prepare them. Now I love roasted beet strings, baked beet chips and these Beet, Oat & Chocolate Muffins!
When these muffins come out of the oven, they smell chocolatey with a slight aroma of the earthy beets. When you bite into them, they’re surprisingly light and moist with a rich chocolate and very mild beet flavor.
Beet, Oat & Chocolate Muffins
When these muffins come out of the oven, they smell chocolatey with a slight aroma of the earthy beets. When you bite into them, they’re surprisingly light and moist with a rich chocolate and very mild beet flavor. You can mix these with a food processor, stand mixer, hand mixer or by hand.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 12 Muffins
- Food Processor
- 2 medium sized beets (shredded fine, 2 cups)
- 2 cups old fashioned oats divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup neutral oil (safflower, avocado, canola)
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a 12-cup standard muffin pan or line with paper liners.
- Reserve ½ cup of the oats. Process the remaining 1½ cups using food processor, blender or chopper to make oat flour. Measure ½ cup of the oat flour and reserve the remaining for another use.
- Stir the oat flour, reserved ½ cup whole oats, AP flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and sugars to the large bowl of the food processor fitted with the multi-purpose blade. Pulse, then process on low. Scrape down and process again if needed. Can alternatively mix with hand mixer, stand mixer or by hand.
- With the processor running, add the eggs, milk and vanilla through the medium feed tube. Stop and scrape down if needed. With the processor running, drizzle in the oil.
- Stir the wet ingredients from the food processor into the dry ingredients, stir to mix partway. Add the shredded beets, chocolate chips and stir just until combined.
- Fill each muffin cup about ¾ full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top springs back when touched.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan to finish cooling on cooling rack.
Nutrition (approx. data estimated via online nutritional calculator.)
Calories: 323kcal (16%) | Carbohydrates: 43g (14%) | Protein: 6g (12%) | Fat: 14g (22%) | Saturated Fat: 5g (31%) | Cholesterol: 33mg (11%) | Sodium: 231mg (10%) | Potassium: 266mg (8%) | Fiber: 4g (17%) | Sugar: 22g (24%) | Vitamin A: 76IU (2%) | Vitamin C: 1mg (1%) | Calcium: 77mg (8%) | Iron: 3mg (17%)
Tried this recipe?Share it! Tag @epicuricloud - Please Leave A Comment & Rating Below! TY!
Leave a Reply