We’ve always loved these Cinnamon Chip Muffins, but I’ve always felt they looked a little short…so I worked with the ingredient amounts…and 4 tries later…we have perfectly domed cinnamon chip muffins!
Top of the Muffin to You!
Whenever my girls have a friend or a whole bunch of friends sleep over, these are always the breakfast request! Cinnamon chip muffins! Yay!! My good friend Annie shared a recipe for these with me years ago that uses Bisquick. It’s a very good recipe, but I don’t always have Bisquick on hand – so I worked on a new recipe over the past year! My taste testers never complained once…even when we had muffins 3-days in a row! ( :
This new recipe uses self-rising flour which is a low-protein flour – lower protein content in flour makes baked goods like muffins and biscuits super tender. Also, self-rising flour already includes the salt and baking soda, which is a nice short-cut when you’re making muffins early in the AM! Don’t have self-rising flour – here’s a substitute. (Tip: I store my self-rising flour in the freezer as I don’t use it as often as all purpose flour.) The buttermilk in the recipe adds tenderness, moisture and a little tang. Out of buttermilk? Just add some lemon juice or white vinegar to milk and let it sit a bit. Here’s how. You can also add a tablespoon or two of plain yogurt to your milk.
Cinnamon chips are delicious nuggets of cinnamon flavor you can add to pancakes, muffins or even these Cinnamon Chip Snickerdoodle Bars! Some grocery stores carry cinnamon chips in the baking aisle. You can also order from various baking websites or Make Your Own!! Don’t like cinnamon? These muffins are great with mini-chocolate chips!
Our Favorite Cinnamon Chip Muffins
- 2 cups self-rising flour see notes to make your own*
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk see notes for substitutes*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup oil (such as canola)
- 1 1/4 cups cinnamon chips
Cinnamon Glaze (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease well a 12-cup muffin pan or line with cupcake liners. (Make sure to grease around the upper edge of the cups as the muffins will dome over the edge.)
- In medium mixing bowl, stir together flour and sugar.
- In small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, vanilla, eggs and oil.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir a few times. Add cinnamon chips and stir until just combined, being careful not to over-mix.
- Scoop into prepared muffin tin, fill each cup 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. They should be just golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted should come out mostly clean.
- Let muffins cool in pan about 3-5 minutes, then invert onto a clean kitchen towel.
- While the muffins are baking, stir together the glaze ingredients. I like to use my hand mixer or chopper to get out all the lumps.
- Once the muffins are removed from the pan, place them on a cooling rack over some parchment or a tray and drizzle glaze over warm muffins.
Self-Rising Flour:Make Your Own "Self-Rising Flour" - Whisk together:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
3 Buttermilk Substitutes:
- Add 1 teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice to measuring cup, fill to 3/4 cup with regular milk. Let sit at least 5 minutes.
- Stir a tablespoon or two of plain yogurt into plain milk.
- Just use plain milk - won't be quite the same texture, but still wonderfully delicious!
Lois M. Delmas
Thank You for the recipe Tina. Really appreciate your thoughtfulness.
Thanks Lois! Have a nice day!
Muffins look delicious…I love cinnamon…Can’t wait to make these muffins
I am definitely going to make this recipe. I love cinnamon like most people love chocolate.
I love cinnamon too!! yum! (and chocolate!)
How do u make ciinnamon chips. Don’t like buying on line. Thanks
Recipe on this site: https://www.epicuricloud.com/recipe/homemade-cinnamon-baking-chips-coconut-oil-honey-version/
I’m so happy to find your blog and YouTube channel. I watch you from Canada on qvc live and YouTube. I have bought all my attachments because I watch you. Thank you Tina with love from Canada 🇨🇦(We can’t shop QVC from here )
Hi Wanda! Thanks so much for watching from beautiful Canada! I appreciate your kind words!! Hope you have a wonderful day!
I made the chips and baked them in Cinnamon Scones. Wow, what a burst of cinnamon and they are not hard like the ones you purchase, It’s worth the effort.
YUM! So glad you enjoyed!