Our Favorite Pumpkin Bread!
It’s the classic style, with warm spices and moist texture. I top ours before baking with coarse turbinado sugar, it makes for a delicious crunch on the top. While the bread is delicious on its own, it’s a special treat to slather your slice with some Whipped Ginger Cream Cheese!
This bread is great for gifting as it lasts (and I think even improves) after a day or so tightly wrapped at room temperature. I’ve included recipes for both a single and a double batch. Happy fall all!
Pumpkin Bread with Whipped Ginger Cream Cheese
Pumpkin Bread SINGLE BATCH: 1 large 9” x 5” x 3” loaf
- 4 large eggs
- 1 16-ounce can pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup oil neutral oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour can use half white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon coarse turbinado sugar Such as Sugar in the Raw
Whipped Ginger Cream Cheese:
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon finely minced crystallized ginger adjust amount to taste
Pumpkin Bread DOUBLE BATCH: 2 large 9" x 5” x 3” loaves
- 8 large eggs
- 2 16-ounce cans pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling
- 3 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/3 cup oil neutral oil
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups flour can use half white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons coarse turbinado sugar such as Sugar in the Raw
Bread: Single or Double Batch
- Arrange oven rack to lower-center position. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. (If using dark pans, reduce oven temperature to 325 F degrees.) Grease just the bottoms of one - two 9” x 5” x 3” loaf pans.
- Add eggs to large bowl (stand mixer bowl) and mix until lightly beaten. Add pumpkin, sugar, oil and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Combine flour(s), baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and baking powder in a separate bowl and whisk/stir together.
- While mixing gently/on low speed, add flour mixture to wet ingredients. Mix until just combined being careful not to over mix. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar over the batter in (each) pan. Bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a bamboo skewer or toothpick comes out clean. You can take the internal temperature with an instant read thermometer. It should read 195 - 200 F degrees in the center when done.
- Allow to cool 10-15 minutes in pan. With a thin sharp knife, loosen the edges of the bread then remove to a wire rack. Cool completely, then wrap in plastic wrap. If freezing, wrap also with a layer of foil.
- Store wrapped at room temperature for 1-4 days or freeze for 3 months.
Whipped Ginger Cream Cheese:
- Use hand or stand mixer with whip/whisk to mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and ginger. Whip until light and fluff. Store in refrigerator.